Saturday, December 3, 2011

Purgatory Has Been Unlocked

My mother called me today.  I was at work, so I returned her call on my lunch.  Her message went something like this:  "Hi baby! (She has NEVER used a term of endearment in reference to me in my entire life)  I got your message on Thanksgiving, I've been resting up since I worked four days in a row, but I wanted to return your call."  She went into some other pleasantries, but I don't remember what they were.  I can't get over her calling me baby!  She left a long message, and ended it in "love you."  Her tone was significantly brighter, less despondent.  She sounded cheery!  

We talked about my work, the weather her and some other things.  I asked her if she was able to understand my message on Thanksgiving, because she wasn't saying anything about it.  She said her machine cut off part of the message.  I repeated my offer to her and her initial response was she was tied to Alliance because her health is too frail to make the trip.  She is deathly afraid of flying, so that is not an option.  I outlined how I would fly back, the girls and I would help her in getting her things sold and I would drive her car back here with me.  I told her I could do the trip in three days, but we could take more time if it was too much at once.  I would use my vacation time.  She talked about her back, and how her doctor wanted to perform surgery because she can barely walk anymore.  She has lost a lot of weight, and is down to 130lbs.  Then she expressed concerns she could not return to work even after the surgery.  She was uncertain how she would make ends meet, she has to work even with social security.  I said "Mom, I don't think you understand what I am offering you.  Your social security should be enough to cover your basic expenses, car insurance, what you need.  You will not have to pay rent, you will not have to work.  I make enough money to pay the rent and I pay the same rent whether the room is used or not."     

My mother was silent for a long time.  Finally she said, "Well, how much is your rent down there?"  I told her, she was floored.  "Where do you live, it must be really fancy at that price!"  I told her it was a nice apartment, but nothing extravagant.  It was in a decent neighborhood and everything I need is within a 5 mile radius.  I explained I was paying more to live at Liberty Heights.  She couldn't believe it.  Landlords have the advantage at the moment, there are so many homes foreclosed they can charge higher rent and still have all their units filled.  She said she hadn't thought about all the foreclosures having such an effect on the price of renting.  I have been renting for years, and since the housing crisis hit my rent has been raised every year, and by no modest amount.  

We talked about the cost of living here, and then I had to wrap up the conversation and get back to work.  I told her to think about it, discuss it with her doctor and she could let me know what could be done.  She ended the conversation with "OK, honey I was wondering how much of a break you got, love you."  Is this my mother?  Was she abducted by aliens since last week?  In my entire life she has never called me by any endearments, and now she did twice in the same conversation.  There was also a clarity in her voice.  It was absent of bitterness.  I have never known my mother's tone any other way, but it was gone.  She still sounds very frail, but her voice is light, hopeful.  I have never heard my mother's voice like that.  Her voice always had an undertone of anger, bitterness and it was evident no matter what she said.  I couldn't detect anything in her voice I recognized.  I am hesitant to say she sounded happy, and if it were anyone else, that is exactly how I would describe her tone.  

I remain cautious and skeptical, but it is possible my mother saw my grandfather's power lying on the floor?  Is it possible she actually picked it up?  Only time will tell, but I think the door in purgatory has been unlocked and my mother is peeking out.  She is not sure it is safe, but I think she is breathing fresh air for the first time in decades.  It has begun. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    I wish I had your faith and spirituality. I wish I had your capacity to forgive. I can't wait for you to write more on your mystic journey, I need answers, but in the meantime I can't wait to see what happens in your life next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I wish you luck. I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now THAT nearly pulled a tear from these old, jaded eyes! I made the same offer to my mother, but she didn't go for it. She can't put up with my smoking. (I'll quit.) Then she'll feel uncomfortable knowing I WANT to smoke. It'll make her nervous. She needs her own bathroom, and I don't have one for her. She won't be happy with the way I keep house. (I'm clean but not neat; her house is as sterile as a hotel room--or a funeral home; totally void of warmth.) She has to have just what she wants to eat, ON TIME. (I'll do it.) Oh well. Can't wait to read further, and see if your mother moved in!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I'll answer as I am able. If you enjoy my writing, please consider making a payment thru this easy PayPal link below. It is secure and easy, just copy/paste into your browser and you will be on the PayPal linked site. Thanks for your support!

paypal.me/CharisseSavier